Student Visa Requirements for Study in Japan

If you plan to learn Japanese for 6 months or more and require a study/student visa, known as a Pre College Visa, then there are specific times of the year that you can a) start the course and b) apply for a visa.

To study 6 months or more, courses begin the 1st week of the following months: January, April, July and October.

To apply for a Pre College Visa to join one of these courses, the visa application deadline is approximately 4 months before the course. We do advise, however, that you apply at least 6 months in advance.

The most important requirements for successfully applying for a student visa are that you have had at least 11 years of continuous school education, that your are at least 16 years old, and of course that you or a sponsor are able to pay for the course, accommodation and living expenses.

The following documents and financial evidence are required to apply for a student visa for Japan.

From the Applicant:

  • A valid Passport which has a validity beyond the duration of stay.

  • Colored photographs of the applicant (3cmx4cm)

  • Application form (attach a photograph with black background)

  • Personal record

  • A questionnaire (we provide this)

  • A graduation diploma (Original) or a certificate of graduation from      your last school

  • A certificate of registration (if you are a student now)

  • A copy of a certificate of admission from the      educational institution where the person concerned intends to study

  • An academic transcript from the last school and the present school      (if applicable)

From the  Financial Sponsor:
 A person who will pay school fees, and living cost. An applicant can be a sponsor.

  • Letter of Payment (we provide this)

  • Payment confirmation

  • Proof of bank balance

  • Proof of occupation

  • An official document to prove the kinship if the sponsor is relative.

You may be asked to submit other documents depending on conditions.
 Documents not in Japanese or English must be translated into Japanese or English by a certified translator.
 Please note all documents submitted except the originals are not returnable

Financial Requirements

To be eligible for a study visa students or their sponsors have to show that funds of Yen 700,000 (US$ 9,000) are available for every 6 months of study. This sum will reassure immigration and demonstrate that funds are available to pay for the course, accommodation and living expenses.

Student Insurance

Student Insurance
 All Japanese and foreigners who plan to stay in Japan for a year or more must enroll in the national health insurance system. Whenever you receive medical treatment for illnesses or injuries, 70% of the medical expense is covered, the same as for Japanese citizens. In addition, 30% of medical expense will be covered by the student insurance program. Thus, all medical expense will be covered by both NHS and the student insurance program.

Visa Office: Japan Consulate General in Guangzhou (include Guangdong Province, Hainan Province, Fujian Province, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region)