Australian Student Visa (subclass 500)

This visa is for students who want to come to Australia to study at a registered education institution.

Before you apply for this visa, you must have:

·been accepted to study full-time in a registered course at an educational institution in Australia

·organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.

You must apply for this visa online.

You can apply when you are in or outside Australia.

After you have gathered and scanned the documents that support your application, create an account and apply for your student visa with our online application system – ImmiAccount.

If you do not provide the documents requested, your visa application could be refused.

After you have applied, any additional documentation you need to submit should be uploaded into ImmiAccount. If you provide your documents through any other channel, it will result in processing delays.



Evidence of your enrolment must be provided to make a valid application.

If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your visa application. A letter of offer from your education provider will not be accepted.

uHealth insurance

Evidence of adequate health insurance. Your education provider could arrange this. Health insurance can only be met by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

You might only need to provide details in your application or you might be asked for evidence of your policy.

Note: If you are from Norway, Sweden or Belgium, you might not have to obtain OSHC.


Evidence of your identity. This might include a certified copy of your Birth Certificate or Driver's Licence.

uChange of name

If anyone in the application has changed his or her name, certified copies of documents verifying the name change. This might include a marriage or deed poll certificate or a certified copy of evidence of the name change.

uParental consent

If you have a child under the age of 18 included in the visa application and one or both parents (or legal guardians) are not applying for an Australian visa, both parents will need to complete and sign the form 1229 - Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years.

Alternatively, you can provide a letter from each parent (or legal guardian) that is not included in the application that includes permission for the child/ren to be in Australia in your care. A copy of the parent (or legal guardian) Personal Particulars (bio-data) page of their current passport should also be included.

If you have sole custody of the child/ren, provide evidence such as a court order.

uMigration Agent - Form 956 Advice by a migration agent/exempt person

Provide a completed and signed Form 956 Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance (252KB PDF).

uAppointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient - Form 956A

Provide a completed and signed Form 956A Appointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (251KB PDF).

uEvidence of dependent school enrolment

Evidence of enrolment of an accompanying dependent child 5 to 18 years of age at an Australian school. If any family unit members are 5 – 17 years of age (inclusive) and will live with the applicant in Australia, documentation confirming their enrolment in an Australian school.

uClosure of education provider

Evidence of closure of your education provider if you are applying for a Student and Student Guardian Visa because of this reason.

uQualifications – outside Australia

Evidence of your overseas qualifications. This might include a certified copy of your academic transcripts, Educational Certificate (Degree, Diploma etc.) or letter/statement from your overseas Education Institution.

Note: Click here for more information:

Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Document Checklist Tool is online tool that can indicate the documents you need to provide with your student visa application by entering your country of citizenship and your education provider.